Thursday, March 1, 2012

Fashion FORWARD --> Retro Fit




This billboard is probably one of Manhattan Mini Storage's finest (although I'm also very fond of "Stop tweeting weird sh*t and clean your room!" and "If you don't like gay marriage, don't get gay married.").  Boyfriend Matt spotted this signage during our outing to the  Chelsea Market & Amy's Bread after I had told him I wanted to do a fashion post about how New Yorker's dress. 

Anyway, I was originally planning on doing one big post about NY fashion, the cool and the crazy, but due to some reviews on the lengthiness of prior posts (I won't mention any names :), I opted to do a series because there is seriously too much fashion to capture in just 1 entry.  Yes, we New Yorkers like fashion. I can guarantee if you come to NY you'll see some of the best-dressed people (men and women, alike) and some of the most outlandish (keep you eyes peeled for a post on neon yellow pants!!). 

To kick things off, I'm starting with myself :) I'm by no means a fashion guru, but since moving to New York, I've definitely become more in tune to my inner fashionista.  Just this weekend I made a new dress purchase at Coup De Couer (strangely they don't have a website, so the link is to their Yelp reviews).  It's a tiny women's clothing shop dangerously close to my apartment, which makes stopping in for a "look around" a little too easy.  

I set my eyes on this DVF look-alike (only $76 instead of a DVF pretty penny of at least 300 bones!).  It has an orange and navy blue retro print, with flared long sleeves. Adding some sass, this little number sports slits along the upper arm portion of the sleeve (hard to tell in this pic) and a bare back (2 photos down).  Figuring out what to wear on the bottom half was a little tricky, but I ended up opting for black tights and round patent platform heels.  I think it would have worked best with a bare legs and a nude platform heel -- unfortunately it was a tad too nippy out, so I went with warmth :) 





Stay tuned for more in this Fashion Forward series (don't worry, they won't all be amateur self-portraits of me :))

Nite!xxoo

2 comments: