Tuesday, March 27, 2012

J-E-T-S, Tim-Te-BOW!

"Chomp Chomp, Go Gators, Timmy Tebow, Heyyyyyyyy!" Such is the chant that echoes through my mind and spews forth from my mouth every time I think of Tim Tebow (in a Southern accent of course), thanks to boyfriend-Matt.  Tim Tebow becoming a New York Jet seems like old news at this point, so I'm a bit behind in jumping on this bandwagon.  I don't have much to add to the commentary of Tebow's Jet-setting since I'm no sports fan at all.  However, since I am a Florida grad who attended the University during some of Tebow's reign, and since I am a New York resident with a boyfriend who is one of the biggest Jet fans alive (proven by scientific studies, of course), I should probably offer up something on the topic.  So I'll come at it the only way I know best: telling you the story of my one and only encounter with this hotty for God-y. 

It was fall of 2007 when I was wrapping up my 5.5 years at the University of Florida. I was "flyering" in Turlington Plaza (best known for its crazy campus "preachers") for one of my dance group's fall showcases.  Basically this meant shamelessly distributing fliers to advertise our dance show with an unnecessary amount of uber-enthusiasm to students between classes.  Wouldn't you know that one of those hundreds of lucky students was the young Tebow?! Ever alert to celebs of any kind, I spotted Tim out of the corner of my eye.  Though I didn't (and don't) care much about football (I think I went to 5 games during my entire college career  -- blasphemy I know!), I knew that Tim was as famous as one could be in the Gator Nation, so naturally, I prepared myself to take advantage of this chance celeb-encounter. 

My adrenaline pumped wildly through my veins as I thought of how I could approach the nearing Tebow.  My breathing quickened as I stealthily peered at him through my peripheral vision.  Time was running short but Tim was drawing closer.  I had only seconds to plan my attack... err flier distribution. The moment came upon me and it happened. I lost all control, and any plan I had to remain cool and collected flew out the window.  Timmy was upon me.  I abruptly swung around to face him head-on and shouted "Come to the Floridance Fall Showcase!  It will be really good!  And you can bring canned food to donate!!" shoving the hot-pink flier at him with what felt like a crazed smile (I'm sure I didn't look as crazy as I felt -- or did I??).  My cheery abruptness caught ole Timmy boy off guard.  He stepped back a bit, and laughed.  "Ok" he said graciously, chuckling.  And that was that.  My encounter with the Tebow man himself. It ranked second only to Coach Billy Donovan once telling me I was awesome after I had unlocked a door for him to the O'Dome.  I never did see Tim at the dance showcase that night (though if you know me, you know that I was thinking something along the lines of, "Surely he thought I was beautiful and amazing and will come to the show just because of me!").  But alas, the memory remains strong.

To conclude, how do I feel about Timmy being in NYC, you ask? Well, as much as I was once annoyed by seeing every Facebook status update during my college years be about Tim Tebow (i.e., "Bow down to Tebow" and "Tebowism!"), which only got worse and expanded beyond just Florida fans when he played with the Broncos, I am actually quite happy and proud about it.  Being surrounded by Tim Tebow garb (jerseys are already out in Modell's and Champs), fans and hype makes me feel kind of at home. I suppose I am forever destined to read about Tim Tebow in the news and on Facebook updates.  But I don't too much mind anymore.  Now, don't expect me to be all in an uproar proclaiming the name of Tebow every Sunday, but deep down, I do have a soft spot for him -- even though he stood me up and didn't come to my dance show.  I will forgive, just as Tebow forgives (Matthew 6:14).

Article in April 2nd issue of "New York" magazine. Too much Tebow? Never.

Just a little something I dug up on Twitter. Gotta love support from Timmy's older brother Peter.



What do you think about Tim Tebow becoming a Jet? All thoughts welcome!



2 comments:

  1. A fun read, Jen! You should keep telling stories; you're very good at it! Hotty-for-God-y??? I don't think I've heard that one! Love ya! xo

    ReplyDelete