Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Celeb Stories: Tea Leoni

For some reason I was just thinking back to one of my first celeb stalking moments in New York.  And yes, I said "stalking."  It was an intentional following.  I am not ashamed.  This memory was probably spurred on by my being slightly jellybeans of roommate Jill having been on the same flight with Joan Rivers yesterday.  But I'm not bitter, I swear ;) 

Anyway, it was a summer day and I was home sick from work with a bad cold/fever.  I had been stuck inside my Upper East Side apartment all day, and as much as I'm a home-body who loves the state of cozy especially when sick, I had the urge to get outside.  So I ventured out into the world beyond my brick walls to return a movie to Blockbuster (when they were still in business -- did I just date myself?).  I'm going to guess that movie was either "27 Dresses" or "Pride & Prejudice"... those movies were on repeat at that time of my life.  I digress.

While walking down 2nd Ave, I heard two women talking pretty crassly behind me, one dropping f-bombs like nobody's beezneez, and the other responding with a scratchy voice.  Out of curiosity (a.k.a. nosey-ness) I turned around ever so slyly to get a glimpse of just who was speaking in such a manner.  Lo and behold! It was Tea Leoni and ... well, I don't know who, but her friend I'm assuming.  And for the record, it was the unknown friend who was cursing like a drunk girl who thinks she's the life the PARTAY.  I vividly remember noting that Tea was wearing a light purple Burberry collared shirt and cowboy boots.  Anyway, I slowed my pace on the stealth, and let the ladies pass me so I could follow unnoticed.  'Twas innocent, I swear!  I just wanted to see what Tea did as a normal human being on a day out and about in the City.  

Photo courtesy of Leonionline.com


Somewhere in the 70's, the ladies turned into a teen clothing shop called Lester's (creepster store name, right?).  Every ounce of my being wanted to follow her into the store, but I maintained composure and self control and continued walking past the store toward my destination.  Granted, I walked incredibly fast for a sick person in hopes of catching Tea in Lester's on my walk back, but that's besides the point!  Well, my speedy little sick legs and luck were on my side.  On the return trip, I walked into Lester's.  While pretending to scope out some teen garb, I scanned the shop and there she was. Spotted! Tea Leoni and un-named friend at the checkout counter.  I inched closer to the counter where cute little beaded bracelets were hanging on display.  Beaded bracelets that should not be worn by anyone over the age of 10, might I add.  I studied the bracelets ever so carefully, thinking of who I could possibly buy one for just so I could get in line behind Tea. 

Bingo! My little cousin Monica. Despite the fact that I hadn't seen little Monica in about a year, she would save me! I grabbed a bracelet and hopped in line behind Tea, acting oh-so-casual and cool.  And that was that. I didn't say hi. I didn't make eye contact.  I just stood. Behind Tea Leoni.  And that was all.  Tea and her curser-friend left about 2 minutes later, and there I was, purchasing a bracelet I would give to my little cousin at some point in life.  

By now you're either judging me or laughing. Or maybe neither? Either way -- it was a memory I will savor forever.  'Cause that's Sh*t New Yorkers Do, birtches!


This was not the day of stalking, but I wore the exact same dress (I am on left -- Besty Paige on right.)




1 comment:

  1. Great story, Jen! Love hearing about your crazy escapades!!!

    ReplyDelete