Monday, March 26, 2012

Fashion Forward --> NEON, Neon

Over the past few weeks I've noticed New Yorkers sporting neon brights (how could you not notice?!). I must be honest and tell you that when I first spotted these two gems of outfits below (exhibits 1 and 2), my first inclination was to judge.   I mean, really, do these people want so desperately to be noticed that they have to wear colors so bright that they emit near nuclear radiation? But slowly my judgment turned to admiration.  After all, it takes some guts to cover yourself in head-to-toe GLOW.

Exhibit 1:  Neon a glow-glow. Not only is this girl rocking a look-at-me-now orange blazer, but she's also got the pink polka tights going.  Now that is what I call courage! Personally I wouldn't have worn the tattered cowgirl boots with this fierce combo, but who am I (I'm pretty sure I wore all-black that day -- clearly not the neon expert).  I do enjoy that she classed it up with a Gucci bag.  Overall, I give this a 10! I have nothing but respect for someone who can sport so much brightness.  




Exhibit 2:  Blinding Bonanza.  Matt and I spotted these neon yellow sweats when we visited Amy's bread at Chelsea Market.  The store was a bit dim, so they definitely shed some light on the situation.





Exhibit 3: D.I.Y. Neon. Want to give neon a whirl for yourself this spring and summer?  Here are a few items I'd recommend to get started.  If you're a little scared -- don't be!  Start out slow, and turn the fright into bright! 

BCBG cocktail dress (Click the link for a better picture). A mere $338, but oh how sparkle-liscious!!  I want that!



Alarm! - By Illamanasqua -- Bright and bold neon for your nails available at Sephora.  This is a great polish brand (I've tried it in a dark grey metallic). Feels sturdy and doesn't chip. The color reminds me of Essie's "board shorts" but with some added sparkle :)


But remember, neon looks best with a glowing tan.... So spray on! Tan in a can at its finest: my favorite   tanning product.  All the bronze, none of the sun damage. A collaboration between Lindsay Lohan and one of her tanning "experts," Lorit Simon.  I have the lotion and the mist, and both work wonders.  Used to be priced around $37 a can, but is now down to $17. What a steal for a tan-so-real!


So get GLOWING and bare your bright this Summer! 





2 comments:

  1. So funny...I just bought some new running clothes, and was thinking "where did all this neon come from?". So now I too own neon in the form of socks, headbands, running tanks, and sports bras. I must admit that the neon short-shorts were a little too
    much for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, that's awesome you've seen it come true where you are! Yea, the mini shorts might be a bit much :)

    ReplyDelete