Sunday, January 29, 2012

The B-List: Chelsea Market & Amy's Bread

This weekend Matt and I crossed 2 items off the bucket list in one quick trip: Chelsea Market and Amy's Bread (for the full list, refer to my first post:  Bucket List). This two-for-one deal was quite convenient since Amy's Bread was actually located in Chelsea Market, which was previously unbeknownst to me (the two other locations: 47th St. and 9th Ave., and Bleecker St.).

THE ROUTE

Matt and I walked to the Market from my apartment since the weather was beautiful yesterday: brisk with clear blue skies.  Most of our walk was on the Highline, an elevated park built on an old freight rail.  The Highline really deserves its own post (which it will probably get in the near future), but for more info now check out: Highline Park Info.  We hopped onto the Highline at 30th St. and 10th Ave, and meandered our way down to the 16th Street exit which dropped us very close to the Market.

Matt and I on the Highline.

30th Street/10th Ave. entrance to the 'Line.

THE STORY


The Chelsea Market resembles an old warehouse, offering a nod toward the Meatpacking District which lies just south. Aptly named, it is located in the neighborhood of Chelsea between 15th and 16th Streets, with entrances on 9th and 10th Avenues.  Beginning in 1890, the Market served as home to the National Biscuit Company, an entity resulting from the merger of 8 large bakeries.  In 1958, National Biscuit moved its operations to Fair Lawn, New Jersey, and sold the complex which then became inhabited by various industrial tenants.  Not until the 1990's did the Chelsea Market take its current form. Investor Irwin Cohen purchased the structure and renovated the ground floor, transforming the Market into what it is today.

My willing and able model, Matt, at the 9th Avenue entrance.

Pondering the good eats in store.


THE SCENE

The entrance of the Market brought us into a relatively narrow corridor filled with well-dressed patrons. From what I could tell, most of the market-goers looked like New Yorkers rather than tourists (I like to think after 4 years of living in the city I have a keen eye that can distinguish between out-of-towners and residents).  

The Market was all indoors which surprised me. I had expected some part of it to be open-air, since the term 'market' always conjures up the visual of a flea market.  I had also envisioned the Market to be full of crowded booths of nameless vendors.  Not the case at all.  High-end retailers made their homes in individual stores.  

The first store we approached was Anthropologie, which we bypassed in hopes of finding more unique establishments.  We then came across two bakeries: Fat Witch and Eleni's.  Matt and I were lured into Fat Witch by its radiating chocolate aroma. Once we were inside, however, the smell became a bit overpowering so we retreated.  About 10 paces away from Fat Witch was another bakery: Eleni's New York.  Inspired by the display case containing creatively constructed cakes (alliteration.. whoop!), we strolled in for a gander. We spotted one shaped and decorated like a Parisian hat box, and another in the form of a bridal bustier.  I made a small purchase of a cute "Happy Birthday" cookie for my roommate/friend Heather's birthday. I haven't received her review on the cookie yet, but it was certainly pretty.

FINAL DESTINATION

After passing a few more shops, Matt spotted our goal destination, Amy's Bread. Alas! 




Our first impressions of Amy's Bread were the images above, thanks to the large glass windows looking into the bread making room (official term? I think so).  Matt so observantly noted that it looked like a crack shop what with the white powder everywhere.  Ah, how I love my boyfriend's thought process <3. 

                                              





After perusing the vast assortment of breads, pastries and other tasty offerings, Matt and I opted to sample three different bread "twists" (pictured directly above): chocolate sour dough, cinnamon raisin, and parmesan.  The price point was $1.65 a piece -- money well-spent.  The chocolate sour dough was my favorite... the bread was soft and sweet, and the meltedy chocolate chunks were to die for. Cinnamon raisin was the runner up. Again the bread was super soft, and the sugary glaze drizzled over it (akin to a Cinnabon frosting, just not as thick or overly sweet) made it even better.  The parmesan twist ranked 3rd.  I was disappointed by the toughness of the bread. It was by no means bad, but not nearly as delectable as the other two.  If it were served warm it would have been significantly improved.

Overall, Amy's Bread was delicious and fulfilled my expectations. I will happily venture to the Market again if I'm in the mood for a carbo-treat. 

As for the Chelsea Market on the whole, two vendors I'd like to try on my next visit are Lucy's Whey for cheese, and Chelsea Wine Vault. For a full listing of the retail shops/food stores which call Chelsea Market "home," click away: ChelseaMarket.  

THE LAST WORD (or picture)

The Directory. 10 = 10th Ave., and 9 = 9th Ave.  (Yes, I just got that now after staring at the picture for 5 minutes.)


Until next time!





3 comments:

  1. yummers! was it as dimly lit as some of the pics make it out to be? so fun! did it remind you of reading terminal at all??? let's cross some more things of the b-list on my next visit, k? maybe eataly? i want to eat lots of cheese!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next few times you go to Chelsea Market, make sure to try a crepe at Bar Suzette, a cookie/ice cream sandwich at Ronnybrook Dairy, and a hot-lunch-of-the-day at Dickson's Farmstand Meats. You won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, we wil definitely take of some items the next time you come up. Eataly would be perfect! And yes, the place was pretty dim. Ben -- thanks for the tips! I'm excited to go back soon, so I'll definitely try those out.

    ReplyDelete