Monday, June 25, 2012

Creative Inspiration: Collages!

Over the past couple of weeks as I began pouring over wedding magazines for inspiration and visuals, I started thinking I was going a little overboard, spending hours cutting out pictures and making pretty collages.  "No, Jenny! Don't be a crazy bride-lady!" I started to lecture to myself.  But then I remembered that this is nothing new; this is just me being me.  Since I was a youngin' I've been into making collages from magazine cut-outs for fun and inspiration.  

Not only is this activity relaxing (it's super easy and doesn't require much thought), it yields an end product that is a precise reflection of your thoughts, desires, and wishes at one point in time.  It's almost like having a time-capsule to look back on.  Here are a few from my scrap books...



I created the above collage in June of 2007, the summer before moving to New York.  The clip on the bottom right is a woman's description of her daily life in Manhattan. She wrote of how she daily woke up early for a run around the Union Square green market, and had days chock full of energizing meetings, which would then end with peaceful evenings of tea-drinking and book-reading. I remember thinking how delightful that sounded and how I wanted my New York life to be similar. As far as all the farm scenery goes, I'm not really sure what that was all about considering I was about to move to a bustling city.  Perhaps it was me trying to retain a sense of peace and calm in preparation for the craziness of Manhattan which would lay ahead. 




This next image (above) is cheating since it's not a collage but rather a drawing, but it served the same purpose.  As with the first, I sketched this immediately prior to my move to NYC.  I envisioned having a balcony with a view of the Empire State Building (affectionately referred to as "The Emp"), a fireplace, and a kitten.  Although it took a year and a half of living in the City, I did end up in an apartment with a view of the Emp, and we now have a balcony, kitty and fireplace (though faux) in our current place.  The power of visualization, people! Get with it!




This next collage speaks for itself.  Clearly I was wanting a little love in my life... and I got it :)



Fitness-inspired collage pictured above was circa about 2010.  I was feeling the need to re-focus on my health and fitness and kept this board in a spot near my bathroom every day for a few months.  




And lastly, one of my most current workings.  This is just one of many binder pages filled with blissful romantic wedding images.  Apparently I'm all about peonies, lanterns, candles and chandeliers.   We shall see what the actual end-product turns out to be :)

To sum it up, if you're feeling a little bored, or the need to create something without too much effort, I recommend sitting down with a pair of scissors and a few of your favorite magazines.  Creating a visualization or inspiration collage may help you feel re-focused and relaxed. Yes, yes I am aware that fancy internet sites like Pinterest serve the same purpose nowadays.  But there is something to be said for  hunkering down and with some good 'ole arts and crafts.  Enjoy, and let me know how yours turn out if you try it!

PS - What activities do you do to relax or hone in on your desires or feelings for a few moments? Please share!



2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of doing a mini-collage in your journal so you can easily reference the pictures compared to what was going on in your life at the time. I keep all my journals and often go back through them; the collage is a good way to recapture what I was into visually at that time. It's neat to see how you kept on keeping on and eventually got to see realized what you had visualized...awesome. I should do this more often, more for fun and relaxing than anything else! Love you, sissy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sis! That's a good idea about doing the collages in a notebook or journal. I've always just done them in scrapbooks, but I like the mini-version idea. I've kept most of my journals but I've actually tossed a bunch... sometimes I cringe reading my old thoughts! Thanks for the comments... I love you!

    ReplyDelete